While some Catholic priests have been protesting to the high heavens against Martial law in Mindanao, a Mindanaon priest expresses support on Facebook.
Fr. Jun Mercado, an OMI published a manifesto on Facebook expressing his support for Pres. Duterte’s declaration of Martial Law in Mindanao by enumerating several reasons.
Mercado stressed that his role “is to engage government and the security sector that in the conduct of war against terrorism, the safety of civilians remain paramount consideration and that HRs are upheld.”
Mercado is based in Datu Piang Maguindanao and well-respected in the Muslim community.
Read the post below.
Declaring my belief and support from the ground…
1. I believe that PRRD has the proper knowledge and counsel both in his war against terrorism and illegal drugs;
2. I believe that his declaration of ML in Mindanao is a pre-emptive strike against the real and factual menace of terrorism;
3. I believe that the rise of Dawla Islamiyya in Southern Philippines aka the local ISIS is a piece of the worldwide network of Terrorism with both ideological and religious basis;
4. I believe that the Government under PRRD is confronting the issue of terrorism by the horn albeit costly and painful;
5. I believe, at this point, that PRRD and the AFP are handling ML with caution and respect for HR; and
6. I believe that the issue of terrorism is a real menace that needs radical response!
My role is to engage government and the security sector that in the conduct of war against terrorism, the safety of civilians remain paramount consideration and that HRs are upheld…
God bless us all…!
Fr. Jun Mercado, OMI
June 7, 2017
Let us read the comments of netizens to know their response.
April De la Cruz commented: “I agree with you Fr. Jun. I pray that the president will remain as strong and as healthy as possible in the middle of these crises.”
Eddie Alih agreed with Fr. Eliseo Mercado: “I fully agree with you that PRRD is confronting terrorism head-on. The government has to be hard in our war against this international menace. Winning this war is winning also our war on drugs because it appears to be interrelated in the Marawi Crisis. The P20M pay-to-cash checks found together with the P50M cash will reveal the supporters of Marawi Crisis.”
Previously, Mindanao bishops have issued a statement expressing support for President Duterte’s quest to end terrorism in Mindanao via Martial Law as reported by the news website Minda News.
Your reaction, please!